Monday 7 October 2013

Healthy cookie saga #1: The worst cookies I've ever had


Healthy Banana and Oat Cookies

Banana + oats.
There have been a load of 2-ingredient recipes floating around on the Internet, a summary of which can be found on BuzzFeed. In this case, I was lured into making the banana and oat cookies because I wanted to have a guilt-free snack to bring along with me beyond the confines of my home.

Without sugar and flour, people often wonder how the ingredients are bound together. Obviously it's not the oats... Bananas are probably preferred to other fruit because they are really starchy in consistency. So in that sense, the recipe works. However, it isn't very appetising.

The cookies were okay immediately out of the oven (albeit a little bland, so I drizzled honey over them), but give them more than a day, and the banana overpowers everything and turns the cookies into tough, chewy (not in a good way!) lumps.

I varied the recipe slightly by throwing in some nuts and another banana (they were small and extra starch was needed to bind the higher amount of dry ingredients). Other people add dried fruit, coconut... the list goes on.

Ingredients
Pecans
  • 2-3 ripe bananas (depending on size)
  • 1 cup of rolled oats
  • 1 cup of roughly chopped pecans (best to toast them, though I forgot to do so)
  • Splash of vanilla essence
 Method
  • Mash bananas and add oats
  • Add roughly chop pecans and mix everything together
  • Scoop onto tray lined with greased baking paper (my mixture made 11 cookies)

Unbaked mixture
 
  • Preheat oven to 160°C (mine is fan-forced)
  • Bake for 15 to 20 minutes (depending on how crisp you like your cookies)
  • Cool for a few minutes before transferring to a rack

Finished product
 
Conclusion: Yucky. Never attempting a 2-ingredient baking recipe again.

3 comments:

  1. HAHAHAHHAHAHA this is hilarious. I'm really curious as to the texture and taste, because it sounds like something that I'd like, actually... Anyway, here's a 1 (or 2) ingredient recipe for you again. But this time I guarantee if you do it right it's amazing. Frozen banana ice cream, all natural.

    3-4 bananas - ripe, lots of black spots (not bruises!). Peel and put in a container, put in freezer to freeze. Take out and chuck in a blender, add a cup of milk, blend, stir, continue blending, and if it's still very icy then continue to add milk and blend, until desired consistency is achieved. I kid you not, this is amazing and is just like ice cream. Oh and it's extremely easy and doesn't take more than 10-15mins all up!

    - Spidey

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Clearly the recipe is beckoning to you to try it :P

      Can I replace bananas with apples? Or durian??

      Delete
  2. Sorry, I don't bake...or, I only bake meats! No cookies/cakes/etc.

    Haven't tried it with apples and i'll never try with durian. With apples I think it won't work as well because it's so much icier with its higher water percentage, it would be pretty hard to blend. Though I think you could make it work if you only half froze the apples?

    - Spidey

    ReplyDelete